Being a victim of sexual abuse doesn't have to ruin your life.
My first experience with sexual abuse was when I was 5 years old. At that time I did not understand what was going on with me. The abuse continued from a family member until I was 15 years old. I have had bouts of depression over the years because I did not have anyone to talk to. I did not tell my mom or my dad until I became an adult. When I finally started dealing with the abuse I was an adult. I repressed the memories for years. When I turned 30 I was going through a bad relationship and the memories starting flooding back in my head. I really did not know how to cope because I never thought about what was I really happening to me while I was going through it. I started having disturbing nightmares. I had times when I wanted to committ suicide. All while raising my son as a single parent. I had my son when I was 17 because most girls who are sexually abused as children become very promiscuous. I started having a very hard time coping with everyday life because I didn't understand what was going on with me. I refused to go to a doctor for a long time because I thought that was being weak and I could call on God and he would help me through it. But going through all that helped me understand that if you do not have anyone that you can talk to about what you are feeling without judgement you may end up becoming something that you do not want to become of taking your own life. I new that with all the shame and guilt that goes with being abused and top of that not being about it will send you down a road that you may not be able to come back from.
My advise is find a good doctor who can help you find coping skills to deal with feeling that goes with being sexually abused. Also you should confront your abuser and let them know what they did to you. Understanding that what happened to you is not your fault will help you cope with the feelings that you will probably deal with for the rest of your life. But you will get to a place where you will recognize the feelings and also you will get know what activities and things will triggers the feelings. Well that all for today. I want to share my experience with you so that I can help someone like me understand why certain feelings happen after you have been sexual abused.
Empower Yourself,
Casey

No comments:
Post a Comment