Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Beginning The Process

Reading about abuse survival is a helpful and gentle way for you to begin to explore your own experience. Here are some books you can read, Soul Survivors by J. Patrick Gannon, Ph.D.; The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Abuse by Bassie and Davis; There is a Way Out by Richard Yao.

Self Help Groups are a good place to start and provide a good support system for someone going through the self exploration process involved in recovery.

Counseling may be a more comfortable mode for you to explore the past. A counselor can lead you through the fear, pain and confusion of your abusive experience and guide you supportively along the path of recovery.

A big part of my healing from child sexual abuse was to shift my thinking about myself and how I viewed the world. It was extremely difficult because I had been brainwashed as a young child to believe that I was only allowed to act and think in a certain way.

Empower Yourself,

Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment